Course Description

This course exists to provide an opportunity for students who fell behind in their mathematics courses to catch up. The course will cover the topics in the TEKS so that students will learn to solve problems that exist in the real world using Algebra and Geometry. If students keep up with their assignments, ask questions, follow directions, and take advantage of tutoring, they will certainly be successful. Math is not a spectator sport!

Back to Top

Makeup Work

If students are absent, it is their responsibility to obtain missed assignments and notes. Students will have the number of days they were absent plus one to make up any missed work. I will not remind students to turn in missed work. If a student is to be out due to a school related function, he or she should see me prior to the event to obtain assignments. These assignments should be completed as originally scheduled.

Back to Top

Late Work

Projects will be deducted 10% for each school day late and 15% for each weekend. Homework will only be accepted until the day of the test and will have a deduction from the grade if late.

Back to Top

Materials

Bring DAILY: agenda, ID, 3-ring binder, two SHARP pencils (work done in pen will not be accepted), LOOSE-LEAF notebook paper (spiral pages will not be accepted for graded work).

Back to Top

Calculators

Students will be provided with a TI-84 Nspire calculator for use in class, but will not be allowed to take them out of my classroom. As long as students have access to a basic 4-funciton calculator at home, they should be able to complete all homework assignments. If the student is college bound, he/she should purchase a graphing calculator. Please select from the TI-83 plus or TI-84 plus lines, as these models will upgrade as students head into college.

Back to Top

Homework Policy

Mathematics cannot be mastered without practice, and homework serves as the practice field for the mathematics classroom. Homework will be assigned daily and is expected to be completed by the next class. It will be checked daily for completion and method. To receive credit for an assignment. it must be turned in by the date of the test. All assignments must be completed in order to take any re-tests.

Back to Top

Grading

Grades will be calculated as set forth by the district. Classroom assignments and homework will account for 20% of the overall average. Quizzes will count 30%. Tests and projects will combine to count for 50% of the total average. Remember that each semester stands alone and must be passed with a minimum grade of 70. Progress reports will be issued to students at the mid-point of each six weeks. These dates are listed in the student agenda. In the case of Accelerated Algebra I and Geometry, each semester is really a seperate course, and each must be passed individually for each credit.


Back to Top

Tutorials

I am available every Monday and Wednesday from 3:45 to 4:45 in my room, 223. Please be on time! If there are any changes, students will be told well in advance when other times will be offered. Students can also make appointments with me for other times. My conference period is 1st block each day. Please note the day of the test is NOT the time to come in for extra help.

Back to Top

Student Behavior

Students are expected to show respect at all times. They should refrain from activities which would disrupt the opportunity for others to learn. I expect students to take notes daily and participate appropriately in other activities. Students are also expected to follow all DHS rules as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.

Back to Top

Academic Dishonesty

Academic dishonesty, such as cheating or plagiarism, will not be tolerated. The consequences will be as defined by the district's Academic Integrity Policy, which can be found in the Student Code of Conduct. At minimum, this is a zero on the assignment, one day in ISSC, and notification to all Honor Societies that a violation has occurred. Cheating is defined as presenting someone else's answers as your own.

Back to Top

Extra Credit

Opportunities for extra credit may be offered, on occasion, to the entire class. However, I DO NOT offer extra credit on an individual basis to bring a grade up to passing. Students are expected to complete all regular assignments to pass. Math is not a spectator sport; participation is a must for success!

Back to Top

Hall Passes

Restrooms and lockers should be visited between classes. A limited number of passes will be issued to each student, and he or she is expected to use them responsibly.

Back to Top